July 11, 2014

Sometimes You Win Sometimes You Learn Conclusion

Hi there, everybody! I'm going to start this post off with a big thank you to everybody who's been reading this series and commenting on the posts. It has meant so much to me! And I also thank John C. Maxwell for his inspiring words and stories in his book Sometimes You Win Sometimes You Learn.

Visit John C. Maxwell's leadership blog here.
This was the first time I've done a little "book journey" on Smiles No Matter, and reading Maxwell's book was a good start to hopefully do more book journeys in the future with you guys. I've learned a lot and have started thinking about my worth as an individual and what I want to take out of life on a wider scale. Also, doing this has allowed me see a new perspective on life and happiness, so I have many new ideas for the future!

Thinking about life can get pretty heavy for some, but as we come to a state of maturity, it isn't all that bad anymore. Instead of seeing failures, pain, and sorrow, we also are able to see the lessons that come with them. I also think that going through hard times leads us to appreciate the good things that we would otherwise take for granted.

Let's have a brief glance over the topics we've covered in this series:

  1. Humility: The Spirit of Learning
  2. Reality: The Foundation of Learning
  3. Responsibility: The first Step of Learning
  4. Improvement: The Focus of Learning
  5. Hope: The Motivation of Learning
  6. Teachability: The Pathway of Learning
  7. Adversity: The Catalyst for Learning
  8. Problems: Opportunities for Learning
  9. Bad Experiences: The Perspective for Learning
  10. Change: The Price of Learning
  11. Maturity: The Value of Learning
Now with the entire series done, here are some questions I have: 
  • What was your favorite part about learning about learning? 
  • In Maxwell's final chapter, he says that life isn't about winning, but about learning. Would you agree with his statement? Why or why not?
  • Of these past weeks, have you experienced any growth from self-reflection and thinking about the challenges you've faced in life?
Please let me know your answers in the comments below!

As for myself, reading this book has inspired me to learn to appreciate more in life. I personally went through a series of unfortunate experiences last year, and reading this and reflecting upon it has helped me learn to live with the pain and move on. It's also helped me find more patience and poise when dealing with myself. 

I wouldn't say that this is the best book in the world, or that I would never have found what I did without reading it--but it is a handy guide and an easy read for anyone looking for a bit of light self-improvement. It's pretty basic, so it's a good place to start. 

Thank you again for joining me on this journey, and please comment and subscribe for future updates!

Smile on,
-Riley XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...